Saturday, September 18, 2010

My first blog day

Today is day 50 in Japan!
The time has really flied by, and I experience new adventures everyday here in Kitakyushu. Here is a little background on my place, and daily life.
I moved to Kitakyushu on the 4th of August after a 3 day Japanese Exchange and Teaching Program orientation in Tokyo, Japan. It is a rural area and the demographic ethnicity breakdown in my neighborhood finds foreign ethnicities rather few and far between. The weather here for the past six weeks have been extremely hot and humid. Thankfully, when I moved into my apartment in the 40 year old teachers' housing building (jutaku) there was a brand new AC already hooked up. Here in he jutaku are seven other English-speaking foreigners. Six of them are teachers. Other renters here are Japanese people that work in schools in he area.
I teach at two high schools, contracted out from JET by the Fukuoka BOE.
This past week was the first week for me to teach all of my regular classes for the first time, because of beginning of school-term testing and Sports day, which I can discuss at another time. The academic level of the high schools are considered as "middle" to "lower". On a regular week, I teach 12 classes. I am required to assist teachers in three other classes upon their request. The teachers are very nice and helpful at bob of he schools. Most of the students that I teach are very interested in English, although their speaking ability is minimal.
I am going to take a Japanese correspondence course which is offered through JET starting next month. I know enough Japanese to get by and I am using Kotoba, a Japanese dictionary application for iPhone, to learn/translate new words.

All in all, I feel like I am finally getting situated here in my 54.21m2 place. There is a grocery store within walking distance and Kokura station, a popular dining/shopping area and transportation hub only 20 minutes away by bus. I have survived a centipede bite, a typhoon and headaches from not understanding the Japanese way of life. Thank you for your prayers and I look forward to writing more, and hearing from you soon!

Love and God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment