Monday, September 27, 2010

Little Things

There are a lot of little things in Japan that are blessings, or not, or just some things that are just plain confusing.
One of the differences about Japan that continues to confuse me is...which side of the road I should walk on. Of course I should be walking against the flow of traffic, though I have to keep reminding myself, consciously, where I should be walking. It is difficult to get the "drive, walk, etc. on the Right" out of my system.
One of the things that is a real blessing is the many Japanese people here who have gone out of their way to help me, in public situations, such as finding my house when I got off at the wrong train stop. If kindness in people here was measured in trees, we could build houses all the way up to the moon! On this one day a lady walked with me for at least 15 minutes, on her own free will, until I saw my familiar neighborhood. Today a lady left her post at her job to help me again as well. The thing is that they are so genuinely happy to help, and don't expect anything in return.

The doctrine of kindness through service at restaurants is also seen. The food is great to begin with and the waiters and waitresses are kind enough to leave you alone to enjoy yourself and your party. When you are ready for the bill, just ask. Sometimes it comes to you with your meal. Oh, by the way, you don't tip. The service charge is included in the price of he meal.

Ok, one annoying thing about life in Japan...I've thought about this for a little while: what is an annoying thing? Most people aren't fluent in English? I have to sort my garbage into four different categories, removing caps and labels? The biggest little thing I can think of is how vocally conservative people are here. Please refrain from hysterical laughter in public unless you are in a Karaoke parlor. I won't talk about the (non)/looks I've gotten with my friends in the grocery store, bus stop, Joyful (our favorite eatery). In places where you would expect verbal explosions in the nosebleed section at games...or in any closer section for that matter, (deep inhale through teeth) just don't exist. Cheering for a team is done by all, everyone says the same thing and does the same kind of dance, clap or chant.

Japan is very kind and seems to run the wrong way and although life is rather good here, sometimes, I do want to scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment