Saturday, December 18, 2010

December 18

Well, today is Saturday December 18th and I know it has been a very long time since my last blog.
It is officially winter time, I believe. It was snowing for the first time this year in Kitakyushu this Thursday and Friday. Multiple layers are necessary. My newest addition to my house is a gas hot water heater in my kitchen and is most appreciated (thanks school!)

Normal classes at one of my schools are officially finished for the term. My other high school still has some classes next week followed by the closing ceremony (Christmas eve). Teaching has had it's ups and downs here, and I'm always learning new methods. I am so thankful for my JTEs (Japanese Teachers of English), for their input. The best part has been seeing the hearts of the kids...they are, for the most part, so gracious, friendly and easy going. Most of them are interested in English and I am glad that they do not give me a hard time, though there is a class that I am still trying my best to get excited about learning English. Next week I teach a class of third year students for the first time! They are about 17 years old.

In terms of Christmas in Japan, there are some beautiful displays (illuminations), mostly on stores or shop buildings, less frequent ones on the exterior of homes. Many people in Japan celebrate Christmas buy having a chicken dinner (KFC) and a Christmas cake, that people can order weeks in advance from patisserie shops. I have had the privilege of giving lessons about Christmas in my classes and telling about the first Christmas. Many Japanese people young and old do not know that many people celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birthday. My plans for Christmas so far are to share a dinner with some families from an international church I've been visiting and have some American food brought from Fukuoka Costco. I hope it will snow! Have a Merry Christmas!
Love,
Catey

No comments:

Post a Comment